Sports Desk - Part-time Temporary Reporter-Editor (Night and Weekend Desk)
Sports Desk – Part-time Temporary Reporter-Editor (Night and Weekend Desk)
We are seeking a multimedia journalist to work part-time on the night and weekend desk in the Sports Department.
- Edit staff and stringer copy from games and other live events
- Write and edit copy for print and broadcast
- Conduct interviews, mostly by phone
- Record and edit audio clips
- Monitor social media and other sources for breaking news
- Chase breaking news, both from the desk and the field if necessary
- Be prepared to shoot video in the event of breaking news
- Triage the AP wire and uprank or Canadianize key stories
- Answer questions from clients
- Shift work required, mostly evenings and weekends
- Experience working in a real-time newsroom
- Solid writing and editing skills
- Solid news judgment and ability to make effective decisions quickly and under tight deadlines
- A proven ability in the use of social media as a newsgathering tool
- Strong technical skills
- An ability to work as part of a team
- Great customer service orientation
- Ability to troubleshoot technical issues
- Ability to work independently
- Strong knowledge of sports
The expected start date is March 2018 and the position is expected to last ten months, with the possibility of an extension.
Please apply by February 23, 2018.
The Canadian Press is committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. As an equal-opportunity employer, we support the goals of employment equity and believe that everyone should be able to contribute to the Company's success in accordance with their abilities. We welcome applications from all diverse groups, including but not limited to women, Indigenous Peoples, members of visible minorities and people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the interview process, please advise us of your needs.